Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Librarian friends please advise

So in 2010 I was fortunate enough to visit Prague for a month long term abroad with WMU's writing program. I while there a friend and I watched a construction worker throw away a set and a half of German Encyclopedias circa 1900. Even then some were somewhat beat up but considering they were printed (my friend and I pieced our limited knowledge of the language together enough to tell the publication date) over 100 years ago I was rather impressed. Obviously I'm a softie for a good tome so we did a very uncouth thing and went dumpster diving to retrieve them like the filthy Americans we are.
Now, all these years later, I still want to see these books restored but nobody seems to want them. I mean, these books were in Prague. They survived the Nazis, they survived the Russians, they survived the resentment of the Czech people for their former occupiers. Not to mention, the pictures and maps are still just gorgeous. I'd love to find some collection somewhere to take them off my hands. I've seen a complete set of these go for thousands of dollars in good condition but I'd be satisfied with a nominal token fee or something (although really, I'm not exactly rolling in cash, so more money would be welcome).

I'll see if I can dig them back out of my closet as I finally built bookshelves into our house.

Librarian friends please advise Click here
  • Blogger Comment
  • Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The webdev Team