Old Russian scientific and religious books are now in my possession...
A bit of a backstory first... So basically I spend a lot of time looking at freebies on our local Craigslist dupe, and came across a lady who was trying to find homes for a whole library of books that were left behind by a Russian professor. I've been learning Russian a while now and saw a fantastic opportunity to own some actual print (I live in Australia, this is the first time I've come across any). So my SO and I spent several hours with this lady going through the first of probably ten batches of books... There were literally hundreds, and she said there were loads more come, as she was slowly clearing out his library. We ended up leaving with about 60 books, dated between 1902-1985. Some in remarkable condition and others that have seen better days. So my SO and I are both science majors of some sort; he is a biomechanical engineering student and I am a veterinary student, so we gravitated towards the scientific books. We ended up grabbing a book on everything from tractor manuals to beekeeping books, and a few very old religious items. We collect a LOT of things, but our previous book collection housed books that never even came close to the age of these beauties. So I'm hoping to get a bit of advice: *how should I store the ones falling apart? Some have lost their spines and are unravelling. These ones I don't plan on reading, but their subject matter was too perfect to pass up. *is there somewhere I should be contacting about some of them? I'm very rusty on Russian history but believe I have some specific books printed prior to the revolution, and the lady also was hesitant to let us have a couple of very old children's books, saying she should give them to a museum, but was so overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of books that she let us have them. *is there an audience out there interested in possible transcriptions? I'm not confident enough to do so just yet but am quickly gaining confidence. *and am I possibly sitting on a goldmine? I flip a lot of my collections due to fund limitations, but I also have a lot of worthless crap that means the world to me, so I guess thats why it's my last question hahah. I absolutely love these books... They are full of incredibly intricate diagrams and are just all round interesting books. I can take photos of individual books if there's interest. Thanks in advance for any advice :)
0 comments:
Post a Comment