Thursday, September 13, 2018

"dotnet watch run" for a solution with 4 webapps. Help me get ideas on the best solution.

I have a platform solution which contains 4 dotnet core 2.1 web apps.

I have been using visual studio to start multiple apps with just one of them opening a browser. Every time I would hit run it takes some time to build and start the apps.

I recently learnt about using "dotnet watch run" which has really sped up my dev/test workflow.
The anoying thing is the initial setup.

Using VS Code I spit the terminal window into 4 columns. It takes a little time to CD to each app directory and enter the command.

This is very useful to see the output of the 4 terminal windows side by side and makes debugging simple.

I was thinking that perhaps it would be worth while creating a VSCode extension to simplify this.

The problem is if you reload the VSCode ui, say if you were installing an extension, you loose your terminal windows.

I know that in VSCode I can launch the debugger with a Compound launch configuration but I want the 4 apps to run all the time to minimize the wait when one has to rebuild.

It would be great to be able to click a button or execute a command to run the 4 apps with watch and at the same time be able to attach the debugger.

If I forget about the debugger and just say that I want to write a script to start the 4 apps with watch.
I was thinking that this could be done with a powershell script and the "Start-Process" command.

Does anyone have any ideas of the best solution to run "dotnet watch run" for a solution with 4 webapps?

"dotnet watch run" for a solution with 4 webapps. Help me get ideas on the best solution. Click here
  • Blogger Comment
  • Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The webdev Team