Sunday, April 21, 2019

Am I approaching this right?

Hey all, first time in the sub.

​

I'm making a Windows Service in C# and I need to configure some parameters on it. Mainly it's connection strings for different databases but also some behavioral settings (update frequency, etc.).

​

I'm having some trouble sharing the application settings using the "Settings.settings" between the two projects in my solution: the windows service & the form app to configure it. I can make the form save/load the settings from the "user.config" file in AppData, but I've been trying to load this file into the service but haven't been successful. Is this even possible? Should I just approach it through custom XML files that I deserialize on runtime when starting the service? Maybe as launch parameters when starting the service? This includes passwords, which I'm still thinking on how to save securely.

​

I have the service running doing what I need, I just need to be able to configure those parameters so it's not all hardcoded.

​

Any help's appreciated :)

Am I approaching this right? Click here
  • Blogger Comment
  • Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The webdev Team