How can I get over my fear of failure?
I don't know if anybody is going to read this, but i would appreciate if somebody who went through something similar as me could help me. I am a 24 year old university student. I have such a great fear that my colleagues and professors will think less of me if I fail, even though I know that this fear is not rational, that I end up procrastinating, keeping my mind occupied with Netflix and games to get rid of this terrible feeling of fear and panic in my chest, until I finally have to wake up and realise that I wasted the whole day, giving me an even worse panic attack, to which I react with procrastinating even more because I don't know what else to do. I lose sleep because I am afraid of being alone with my thoughts in the dark. When I work on a problem, and I can't solve it immediatly, I immediatly imagine how I can never marry my girlfriend and give her the life she wants, how I will disappoint my parents, and worst of all, the professors and how the other students will think less of me. People I don't even know or care about. It's getting worse and worse, and has come to a point where I feel like I am cornered and can't escape. I can't stop this cycle, and I don't know what to do. I feel like I am getting older and older, accomplishing nothing. I make plans I don't follow through. My fears are making me slowly destroy myself. The only reason I am not suicidal is because I am lucky to have an amazing girlfriend and family, that I am always afraid of losing. I think I seriously need help. I think my problems stem from the fact that I am a very timid person. I barely ever said a word in school because I didn't want to draw ANY attention to myself. I was basically always the silent weird kid. It got a lot better after high school. I also always had a fear of authority because I was frequently heavily beaten and verbally abused by a teacher when I was seven for the whole school year, which might have something to do with it. Or at least it didn't help.
0 comments:
Post a Comment