I think I hate a person.
Let me start by saying that I'm a really easy going guy, and when I do get annoyed, it's usually fleeting and I handle it with sarcastic jokes and the like. That said, I've been working with someone for the past 8 years or so, and it's at the point where I genuinely despise the very sight of her. She's not mean or anything, but she's a grown woman who behaves like a teenager, who is clearly at work to chat and socialize - so basically it's the opposite to where she's annoyingly bubbly...and she won't leave me alone. My morning usually starts with her coming up to my desk (as she makes the rounds), saying "Hi, tell me something interesting" and just standing there, despite my telling her that I'm very busy and I don't have time for this. This happens a few times a day.
The worst part is is that she works the front desk, so I can't get anywhere in the office without passing by her - and everything single time that's accompanied by some mindless attempt at banter. Well actually, that's not the worst part. The worst part is she's the most computer illiterate person I've ever met, and I'm the IT guy. That means I get more calls from her in a day than I do from other users in a month or two. I tell her to write things down when she has an issue for me, and email me them all at once (a concept entirely too confusing for her), and she did that for about two days before going back to old ways.
To top it off, she's a compulsive liar. It's mostly insignificant things, but I'm aware she's cheating the system to earn an extra dollar, but I'm not one to report something like that and have someone fired. She basically dilutes her work production during the week so she can work weekends and get OT...not my problem, except when she texts me on a Saturday with IT problems. She's tried to get me involved in it (making up an IT issue as to why she couldn't get any work done on a particular day, which I called her out on, then asking me to just go with it), but I wasn't having that.
It's become a vicious cycle where I appear to be completely miserable at work, and it's mostly just her. She's the hub for all office gossip, so I'm sure she's passing around a message that I'm a jerk, since at this point, I basically don't say much at all to her except "leave me alone, I'm busy."...that doesn't stop her though.
I don't want to get anyone fired and affect their livelihood like that, but I'm almost at wit's end. I hate how she makes me feel this way about another human being, since I really never hated anyone. I don't wish her ill will, so maybe hate is a strong word, but it's a strong dislike, and that's not a pleasant feeling for me. I really just want her to leave me alone, but am at a loss as to how to go about it.
0 comments:
Post a Comment