Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Is there anything I can do to lower the chances of my possible prodromal schizophrenia transitioning into actual schizophrenia?

Hi!

I am a 22 years old male. My mother has schizophrenia, and this made my childhood pretty interesting and traumatic, and this has probably been a factor for my own mental health issues.

Currently I'm seeing a therapist for "depression", but it's more complicated than that -- he is not really sure what is the problem, and he suspects it could be the depressive type of schizoaffective disorder. I spent about a month in a psychiatric hospital for depression, and they also were not sure what to make of me, for them it's anxiety, depression, possible schizoid and possible obsessive-compulsive personality disorders, and a "prodromal state of an illness in the schizophrenia spectre" differential diagnosis (I'm loosely translating, English is not my first language and not the language of the country I'm in right now; deliberately omitting both).

My own connection with reality is pretty OK, I have no strange beliefs, no voices, and nothing of the typical questions that get asked after doctors learn about my mother's SZ ("Do you sometimes hear or see things other people don't see?" etc etc). If I understand it right, the problem seems to be that I'm in the right age for SZ to begin if it does, that I'm genetically predisposed to it, and I have that which has been described as divergent thinking and "sometimes you're too creative", but this has been part of my personality my whole life and is nothing recent.

That said, some mildly concerning things have been happening the last couple of months, nothing too bad, but I have read enough about SZ and prodromal states not to be concerned. Small things, like my face feeling a bit heavier than usual sometimes, objectively existing sounds coming from all directions (and not from just one, as usually), twice, last month, strange shadows and imperceptibly moving things around me after dark. So far nothing too concerning and I can happily explain all of this away, but still: if this is the beginning of a SZ episode or prodromal state, is there anything I can do to lower the risk? Grateful for any thoughts or opinions. (Also very open to links to any resources or studies or books).

I will be able to get my psychiatrist's opinion about this only in about 2 months.

TL;DR Genetically predisposed to schizophrenia, currently depression + something_else_hard_to_say_what, last two month small thingies happening, though nothing dramatic. Is there anything I can do to lower the risk of getting real schizophrenia?

Is there anything I can do to lower the chances of my possible prodromal schizophrenia transitioning into actual schizophrenia? Click here
  • Blogger Comment
  • Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The webdev Team