Fear of death and anxiety attacks
Well, the previous weeks haven't been the best for me
I have a planned trip to a huge event my family had to spend a lot of money in, even in the troubled financial situation they are right now. And since 2-3 weeks ago I've been having trouble sleeping because of the flight
I was never afraid of flights before, and I know all the facts and statistics tell me that I shouldn't. But since my last air trip where the plane almost crashed because of terible weather and a notoriously hard airport to depart from, I've been terrified. All I think before bed and during the day is how the flight might go wrong.
Since then, I've been in a spiral. The fear of the turbulence evolved into a fear of the flight falling, of me being ejected from the aircraft and now I'm fearing for my life on the trip in general. In new years eve I had a panick attack in a new years resolution excersise my family made because the only thing I could think about was that I wanted to survive (i believe it was an attack, not as strong as some people describe it but I was shaking and couldn't take that thought out of my head. I had to go upstairs and have my girlfriend calm me down before midnight so the owners of the house would not be upset)
My year has been far from healthy, as stress has taken me up strong in a super-demanding high school program that I love but is eating me up. My vacations (my country uses the feb-nov school year, so now I have my "long" vacations) have been eaten up by schoolwork due to february, and today was literaly the only day I could zone off completely for months.
Even though I read up online (not the best source, I know, but its hard to get therapy in this time of the year, but I'll start it as soon as possible) that this so called "sense of impending doom" can be caused by stress-related anxiety, I can't shrug off the feeling that this is a sign and that I will die in the trip. I even considered calling off the trip, even after all the work I put into making it happen, but I just can't do that to my family after all we have been through
I've been into terapy before, and I know there are no quick fixes, but what should I do to cope with this fear?
I've always considered myself rational and chill, but now I'm starting to see this attitude was actualy me bottling up my feelings, fears and frustrations inside.
What can I do to at least improve the situation and be able to travel?
Thank you in advance, and sorry if I rambled. If there is anywhere else in Reddit/internet I could go to with this, it would be highly apreciated. My girlfriend knows about that, and she tried to help me, but there is nothing she can do except tell me what my rational side already knows but that doesn't change a thing.
0 comments:
Post a Comment